Skip to main content

Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!

I’ve made Christmas cards this year! I have been saying for YEARS now, ‘This year I AM going to make Christmas cards,’ and then failing abysmally because being a teacher got in the way. I even bought a pack of blank cards at one point. But this year - I did it!!

Wasn’t sure to begin with what would go on the cards. So I do as I always do in these moments of indecision and I let it sit for a few days. Then, clear as a jingle bell, the image of a knitted Christmas tree popped into my head, and I was away! I’m glad it was a Christmas tree because it’s one of my favourite parts of Christmas - the sheer romantic lunacy of having a tree inside your home, covered in twinkly lights. We always have a real one, too, for the scent. And this year we have decided to buy a potted one because I read that they live happily in pots for around 4-5 years, so after Christmas it can live in the courtyard where I can attempt to keep it alive for next year. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I already had blank cards. Annoyingly, they did not fit inside any of my supply of envelopes so I purchased a huge block of 50 brown artisan-type envelopes for £2.50. I also bought some little wooden stars and some teeny tiny diamond things which tested my patience attaching them to the card, but thank goodness for the tweezers with a light that Andy bought me as a random birthday present a couple of years ago. I know....don’t ask...

I knitted tree shapes - triangles with round bottoms - from tinsel wool. Not to be recommended for the faint-hearted, and it blooming well sheds EVERYWHERE, much to the delight of Flora who loves a bit of tinsel in her diet. I trimmed the excess fluffage from one side of the tree to help it lay flatter against the card. Then I glued an oblong of Christmas paper to the card, after crimping the card edges to give it a Victorian look, and also to help it fit better in the envelopes.

Next came the tricky bit of attaching double sided sticky tape to the back of the tree then peeling off the backing to the reveal the sticky bit to attach the tree to the card. Now, double sided tape is all well and good when it has something firm for you to press against in order to remove its backing, BUT when it is attached to something soft and bouncy like a knitted tinsel tree, the operation becomes a different kettle of ‘Test My Patience’ indeed. However, with the aid of a small needle, lots of deep breathing and sticking my tongue out in concentration, the job was a good ‘un! Then I attached a small brown felt square to act as the tree trunk, and the wooden star on top, and three little shiny diamond things around the star et voila!

The Tartan Tree...

...the Snowflake Trees...


...and the Poinsettia and Frosty Lace Trees...

Simple, effective, tactile, and, as they say in the teenager vernacular, I am well happy with them!

Comments

Anonymous said…
They are fantastic! Thanks for sharing the final product. You are inspiring me to get going for this year. Now yuletide can begin falalala …
KJ
Denise said…
I’m glad you are inspired, KJ! These were fun to make, and once I got into a system they didn’t take too long. I’m going to make another half a dozen on top of the 20 already constructed just to use up the infernal tinsel wool!
Anonymous said…
Get your glue gun out! Make an outline of Christmas tree on a poster sort of a thing and knit some Christmas decorations ๐Ÿ˜Š
KJ
Denise said…
Is this instruction for me or you?! ๐Ÿ˜„
Anonymous said…
Good point! Let me think about that... You of course! You are the crafty one of us! :-D
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.