Skip to main content

Plan to Write and Write to Plan

Since I decided that being a Writer is the work of my destiny (albeit unpaid) I have been putting in the hours, and then some. I’ve been getting up each day and preparing for a day at work like I did back in the teaching days. Sitting down at my desk at 8.30 sharp, taking an hour for lunch (different from my teaching days when we were allowed 17 and a half minutes, so an hour is BLISS and also excellent for the digestion), then finishing at 5 to start preparing the evening meal. And after dinner I’ve been going back to writerly activities such as background reading, research, idea development and editing.

Yesterday, after a considerable amount of editing and deleting and rootling through piles and files of writing I have started across the years and not finished, I have decided that a novel (currently in infancy at 18,000 words) featuring a character called Minerva Thing, is calling to be completed.

I am very fond of Minerva Thing. She was born in the café that is situated above the Waterstones in Canterbury - not literally, you understand, but from people-watching with my notebook and pen over a mozzarella, tomato and pesto panini. The surname ‘Thing’ is borrowed from one of my ancestors, Elizabeth Thing. It is a name that can trace its roots back to mediaeval times. It entertains me that I am descended from Things. Thus today I have been working on this novel, moving it along another 2,000 words and developing a record book of plot lines, characterisations, research points, all the things that hopefully will keep me on track with the saga and prevent me from writing myself into a tangle.

HOWEVER...

...today, I have also been fretting about this year’s (ssssshhhhhhhh!) Christmas Story. As you know, I’ve been entertaining you (ahahahahahahaha!) for many years now with a Christmas story which gallops its way through the 24 days of Advent (when I say ‘gallops’ I sometimes mean ‘drags’) culminating in a magnificent finale on Christmas Eve, much to the relief of everyone, especially me. But, dear reader, I fear I am running out of ideas for this year’s offering. I’ve done pantomime, Phantomime, A Christmas Carol, The Polar Express, The Nutcracker, missing puddings, stolen Christmases, kidnapped Santas, Scrooges, 12 Days of Christmas, cursed Advent calendars, The Night Before Christmas...blimey, what haven’t I done? And thereby stands the problem.

Writing research today has included squeezing the entire internet for Christmas stories that I could, á la Shakespeare-style, appropriate for my own creative use. It’s not been a productive exercise. Some of the ensuing ideas have, quite frankly, smacked of desperation. That’s why I’ve had to start thinking about it now, 52 days in advance, instead of my usual 2 days and wing it approach.

So, if you have any ideas, or requests even, of Christmassy type story stuff that I may have overlooked over the previous decade, please let me know. Please?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ehm, I just really like reading about your quite “ normal” Christmas preparations? Will that do?
KJ
Denise said…
'Normal', KJ? 'Normal'??? Not even ONE talking chicken? However, you have given me an idea, so thank you for that!
Anonymous said…
You are welcome! Looking forward to the read. :-D
I wish I could drop by with a chocolate cake or something similar and enjoy a cuppa with you and the cats and probably a chicken or two... and Andy too if he behaves... But a small detail of a non-starter like an ocean is in the way of this. Keep writing I really enjoy your stories.
KJ
Denise said…
Oh now a visitor bearing chocolate cake would be most welcome, KJ. And I should enjoy sharing ‘real time’ with you, too. So, if you are ever across the ocean.....🙂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.