Skip to main content

Hippy Day and a Nice Cake

Firstly, I am pleased to report that my Mum (aged 79 and three quarters) underwent a very successful hip replacement yesterday and when I called the ward, the nurse I spoke to said that Mum was currently sitting up in a chair eating dinner and having a cup of tea. And that she had been walking around with the aid of a Zimmer frame (Mum would NOT have liked that, but would have done as she was told) and had been to the toilet, which I thought was too much information but necessary to know, I suppose, given how fixated hospital wards are about bodily evacuation habits.

The nurse also went on to say, ‘She’s a jolly little thing, isn’t she?’ which immediately went in my book of ‘Phrases To Cherish and Remember’ and which I shall repeat back to Mum when she goes off on one of her rants about the state of the world/ people/ Maidstone town centre/ the garden.

Later, I got to chat with her face to face via the magic that is FaceTime on my brother’s phone when he visited her. And she looked jolly animated and very excited by the whole adventure, and not like someone who’d had major surgery just hours previously. Of course, this could have been the combined effect of pain killers and relief that it was all over, but still - she looked and sounded just like Mum, only on speed, and I was pleased to see her thus. She’d had an epidural and sedative, and said she could feel that ‘something’ was going on, but was mostly drowsy, and it took only two hours post-op for her toes to start tingling with life again. The wonders of modern medicine eh? She was also shouting a lot, because she wasn’t wearing her hearing aids, and she couldn’t hear some of what I was saying, so I was shouting a bit and so was my brother, and I saw someone pull the curtains around my Mum’s bay, not that it would have made much difference noise-wise, but the thought was there.

If she’s had a good night and all is well, then she could be going home today. They’ve said she can swap her unattractive hospital gown for her normal day clothes today. None of this lounging around in a bed malarkey.

This morning, I made a favourite cake of mine - the cake tin was bare and that is always a sorry sight.  And I thought I would share the recipe with you because it is jolly easy and full of goodness as far as cake can go. It’s a carrot, apple and sultana cake. It looks like this...

I cut out that slice so you could see inside. It didn’t come out of the oven like that. For goodness sake.

Ingredients:

8oz self-raising flour
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
Half a teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 orange - use grated zest and all of juice
5oz Demerara sugar. 
5oz finely grated carrot
1 medium eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
3oz sultanas
2oz pumpkin seeds

Take all the ingredients, chuck them in a bowl and mix together until they are well combined into a moist smoosh.

Place smoosh in an 8” round, lined with greaseproof paper, cake tin. Bake at 180C/Gas 4/ fan oven 160C for 50 minutes to 1 hour until cake pulls away from sides of tin. Cool before removing from tin. Eat. 

The observant amongst you will see that not only is this cake a jolly nice fruit cake, perfect for cool Autumnal days, it also contains no eggs or butter which makes it suitable for vegan diets. I have used raisins instead of sultanas, and half wholemeal/ half white flour mix. If the apple skin is nice, I’ve not bothered peeling the apple. I have also coarse grated the carrot. And I have swapped the Demerara sugar for muscovado or light brown sugar. It’s a cake that is flexible according to the contents of your cupboards. All versions have turned out well! 

If you can bear to divide it into 12 slices, each slice will be around 200 calories. But hey - who’s counting? 

The sun is shining. All is right with this world. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad to hear your mum is through the surgery and doing well! That cake just looks absolutely scrumptious!
KJ
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ! And the cake is scrumptious!
Anonymous said…
I don't think you provided a name for the cake so now I have it saved under "OhMyDays Cake"! :-)
KJ
Denise said…
I love that, KJ! Now I feel I ought to invent a whole set of ‘OhMyDays!’ recipes!! The cake is actually an apple, carrot and sultana cake, which doesn’t sound nearly half as exciting.
Anonymous said…
Please do - I need some inspiration!
KJ
Athene said…
I do love a recipe that starts with “chuck it all in together”, that is my type of cookery. I’ve just made this, without the orange as I didn’t have one and with slightly fewer pumpkin seeds as I was using up what I had in the cupboard, and it’s looking delicious - I’m pacing the floor till it’s cool enough to try! I particularly appreciate the dairy free nature, having a family member who can’t eat anything that comes out of a cow.
Denise said…
Ooooh, Olly - what do you think? Have you tried it yet?
Athene said…
Yum! Next time I’ll make sure I’ve got the full complement of pumpkin seeds, because they really add to it. It’s delish, and I’m going to have to put the rest in the freezer or I’ll eat it all. 12 slices? You are joking ... I could finish this in one go if I let myself! Definitely one I’ll be saving and making again.
Denise said…
I know what you mean, Olly. I could polish off a substantial amount in one sitting, never mind one twelfth! What did you use to make up the moisture from not having the orange? Or did it come out just as well without? Not too dry?

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.