Skip to main content

Hip Hip Hoo-Rooooooooar!

This is me, perambulating the grounds of Damson Cottage in the morning, accompanied by a leonine  Bambino Bobble Wilson and Flora Bijou Mybug disguised as a cute likkle lambkin...


I jest, of course. The cats are house cats and I'd never wander about in our garden dressed like that at the moment because all the rain has rendered the ground very claggy and can you imagine the EFFORT it would take to get the mud out of the hem of that frock? Nope, jeans and wellies are the order of the day. Folklore, though, declares that if today, 16th October, remains rain-free, then next Spring will be dry. It's not looking hopeful, folks.

The painting is, in fact, called 'Una and the Lion'  and it was used on the British £5 gold coin that was minted to depict Her Maj Queen Victoria at the start of her reign. Lots of Victorian imagery there - lions = strength and bravery, lambs = innocence, bucolic scenery = wasn't England going to be FABULOUS under the reign of Victoria. The story goes that Una went on a quest to free her parents (I know not from what) and on her journey she encounters a fierce lion. The lion is so entranced by her innocence and beauty it vows to become her protector and companion instead of eating her on toast for breakfast. He eats the lamb instead. No, he doesn't! I made up that last bit. He's a nice lion. 

Coincidentally (not), today is the day of the Lion Ceremony, which takes place in the church of St Katharine Cree in ye olde London Towne.  This is the church. Not much to look at on the outside...
...but ain't she pretty on the inside!?


The sermon harks back to 1649 following the adventure of Sir John Gayer, who was Mayor of London 1646-7. He was in Syria on a trading trip and became separated from his companions. Drunk, I expect. Too much raki. You know what these business trips are like. This hungry lion appears and Sir John does what any right-minded person would do when faced with a lion on the hunt for a bite to eat and that is pray to Daniel of the lions' den story from the Bible. The lion takes a few sniffs (one should always sniff one's food before eating - wise lion) and decides not to risk Gayer tartare after all, and wanders off in search of a nice juicy camel instead. Phew! I expect Sir John smelled a bit off. I imagine life was a bit stinky in the 1600s, especially when one was travelling in hot climes. I also take issue with the idea that this male lion would attack Sir John anyway, because we all know it's the lady lions who organise the shopping and cooking i.e hunts and kills whilst the men lions lounge around of the sofa hogging the TV remote control.

Anyway, Sir John was soooooo relieved to be alive he left a gift of £200 in his Will for his story to be told every year in The Lion Sermon at St Katharine Cree. Some might say he wanted it to be a lesson in Christian fortitude, that if you pray sincerely enough you will be saved. Some might say he was just showing off because I looked up what £200 would be in today's money (I used the inflation calculator on the Bank of England's website - it's great fun! You should try it) and in 1649 £200 was equivalent to just shy of £34,500. Not short of a bob or two, eh Sir John? He is buried in St Katharine Cree and his burial spot is marked with an illustrated brass plaque which sings his praises at great length. Not literally, of course. Can you imagine an actual singing plaque? Now there's a thought...

Today is also the day my Mum, aged 79 and three quarters, is in hospital having her hip replacement surgery. It's been a bit of a saga getting to today, but she was safely deposited by my brother at 7.30 this morning. He phoned me to say she approves of the surgeon (I rolled my eyes at that one), that they are aiming to do the 'epidural + sedative + get her up and walking today = kick her out tomorrow' procedure which she is determined to make happen because Mum and hospitals do not mix, and that he was dismissed from her service at 8 a.m and he'll let me know when he hears further news. I think she will be okay because she is too feisty and awkward not to be. She is already talking about when she can get back to driving, reasoning that as they are doing her left hip and she drives an automatic then she won't be off the road for long. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she doesn't insist on trying to drive herself home from hospital.

It's all about the lion today - be brave, be strong, roar a bit, sleep a bit, and be very picky about what you eat!







Comments

rusty duck said…
Hope all goes well x
p.s. been raining here..
Denise said…
Thanks, Jessica. It’s not been raining here. Cheshire Gap, you know.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.