Skip to main content

Get Lagged

When was the last time you wore a vest? Yesterday? Last week? As soon as the Autumn chill set in? Do you ALWAYS wear a vest, no matter what ‘coz no one is going to catch YOU out, no way, no how? Or like me, back in the mid-70s as soon as you left primary school, because no-one wears a VEST to secondary school, right?

Let me tell you, my dear friends, this morning was the first day I have considered vest wearing since 1973. A combination of the first overnight frost of this Autumn plus a blanket of freezing fog made me feel the chill right to my bones as I headed up the garden to feed the hens and stupid cockerels. This is it, I thought. I am officially on the edge of old lady territory. I am heading into the ‘vulnerable person’s’ danger zone. You know, when health agencies and the news give out warnings to groups of people who are at risk if they do certain things like overheat, eat raw eggs, catch ‘flu, GET TOO COLD! This Group of Vulnerability almost certainly involves small children (vest wearers), pregnant women (I don’t know why I say ‘women’ because it’s not a man thing, is it?) and old people (vest wearers).

Anyway, I set off in my little car, heaters puffing out warm(ish) air, to go to Dunelm to collect a brushed cotton duvet set which grabbed my fancy. Not a euphemism. I had reserved it on-line because our nearest Dunelm is a good half an hour’s drive away and I wasn’t going to go if they didn’t have any in stock. It’s a nice tartan pattern in blues and purples, and I forgive the very young sales assistant who attempted to charge me twice for it. I also purchased some brushed cotton pillow cases. And on my way home, I thought, ‘See! Bloody brushed cotton now!’ I remember having a brushed cotton nighty when I was a child. To keep me cosy. Member of a vulnerable group, you see. The horror continued to descend...

...because when I got home I thought, ‘I’ll just have a look on-line, check out vests. NOT that I’m going to BUY any, heaven forfend, but you know, just out of idle curiosity. I bet they don’t even MAKE vests these days ahahahahahahahaha....’

And now I can tell you that vests are STILL made, apparently in their millions. Made the mistake of going onto the Damart website, that bastion of thermal apparel. They immediately offered me 10% discount and free delivery but I knew that if they got hold of my details I’d be plagued to the grave by them, no matter what the new GDPR rules say. (Is it GDPR? I might be getting confused with a different set of initials to do with economic growth. Anyway, you get my gist, you clever people.) Also, their trademark thermal fabric is called ‘Thermolactyl’ which immediately made me think of a warm breastfeeding flying dinosaur, and that’s not good, is it? If I wore one of their vests who knows what Freudian nightmares would head my way. They also had grades to choose from - 2,3 and 4 - and to be honest, at this point in the proceedings I was thinking my life too short to be taking this exploration, so I moved on to good old M & S.

Their thermal undies were modelled on ladies who were definitely on the older side of life’s fence. Their trademark thermal fabric is called Heatgen. They didn’t confuse matters with numbers but they did have Heatgen Plus. Haven’t these people heard of the menopause? I don’t want ‘plus’ anything added to my clothing fabrics. If I’m going to wear another layer under my jumper, I want it to stay at one tepid temperature, and not suddenly regulate itself upwards if the wind chill factor steps up a notch.

 The other thing that put me off the thermal vest thing is that they all had a high polyester content. I can’t be involved with polyester, for heaven’s sake! No one is going to hold ME responsible for clogging up the innards of some poor little sea turtle with escapee polyester fibres from my laundry. Did you see the new David Attenborough programme on BBC1 last night? If that isn’t a big enough guilt trip to make one be more selective in the fabrics they wear, then I don’t know what is. Besides, put polyester on me and I turn into a ball of static electricity. I can’t be doing with the shocks every time I touch a door handle.

Perhaps I could knit a vest? I found a pattern. I might have to upsize it, though...

Comments

rusty duck said…
Today the builders have been plastering, with all the windows and doors open in the sitting room. I sat upstairs shivering for a while, until the power went off. At which point I was forced outside (no computer, washing stuck in the machine mid rinse) only to find that it was warmer out there than inside the house. If you look in the mirror and your lips are blue is that a sign of hypothermia?
P.S. I have some brushed cotton PJs. With sheep on them. Could be needing them tonight.. possibly with a vest underneath.
Athene said…
Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it; as my work often involves standing outside without a coat, I rely on thermal leggings under my trousers and an extra layer on top. Cotton camisoles from M&S are my preferred way of keeping warm, they’re not quite as old-lady as the thermal vest. I’m not sure that the production of cotton is any better than polyester, but I’ve had my camisoles for years so they might as well go on being worn. Layers are definitely the way to go in keeping warm.
Anonymous said…
One word: Icebreaker. Look it up. Merino wool. Expensive yes, worth it, absolutely. Just can’t beat it for keeping you warm and cool.
KJ
Denise said…
Jessica, blue lips are indeed a sign of hypothermia. Or very poor fashion sense on the lipstick front. However, I do like the sound of brushed cotton sheep pyjamas. Very cosy!

I looked at the cotton camisoles at M&S, Olly - and I do think they may be the way to go!

I looked up ‘Icebreaker’, KJ! And they have a sale on at the moment, which brings a few suitable items down to the not quite so ‘Eeeeek!’ price bracket. But you do pay for what you get, don’t you? Quality over quantity, every time.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.