Skip to main content

Funny About Mugs

I’m putting it down to being middle aged and therefore entitled to get iffy about things (training, if you like, for full-blown awkwardness when I am an old lady), but the other week I had a proper antsy moment about mugs. We had a rush of visitors and during the many tea, coffee, biscuits and cake rituals my favourite mug was being bandied around various guests and never once made it my way. And it was then that I realised how irrationally possessive I have become over my favourite mug.

This is insane talk, I know. The mug arrived chez nous a few years ago as a birthday gift for Andy but he never used it so I adopted it because I discovered it was jolly lovely from which to drink tea. This is it...
...a hedgehog! Anyway, this mug became my mug of choice and this is the mug that was being pimped around various guests because His Lordship Malarkey is very good at saying, ‘I’ll make drinks,’ and bolting to the sanctuary of the kitchen leaving me with the hostess chat when we have guests.

This unexpected irritation (I was going to call it ‘rage’ but it wasn’t really or the mug would have been broken so NO ONE could use it) led me to examine previous relationships with mugs over the years to see if there was a pattern. No, not a mug pattern...a pattern of irrational mug behaviour. You can tell I’m reading up about psychology ahead of my counselling course, can’t you? Anyway, the first ever ‘My Mug’ I can remember was this...
...which had the message, ‘I think I’m allergic to mornings’ scribed on the reverse side. Ironic, really, because I’ve always been a lark, not an owl, and therefore not allergic to mornings. I had this mug during my early teen years. I do not know what happened to it (I found this image on EBay) but I can’t drag up any feelings of angst about it no longer being in my life so it is not an issue contributing to my recent mug irritation. But I DO remember it from 40 years ago. Weird. However, I do not feel the urge to re-introduce a 1970s retro Snoopy mug into my life. It will only contribute to the tat in the house and you all know I am anti-tat. Phew! 

Further investigations show that I cannot remember being upset when subsequent favourite mugs have been broken or lost or used by other people. So perhaps it is just this hedgehog mug I’ve become oddly attached to. Perhaps it is a menopause thing? I don’t know. I have two other mugs I like...
...a bee one and the Quentin Blake crazy cat one. These are smallish compared to the hedgehog one and my darling granddaughters tend to use them when they visit. I still use these mugs if I am wanting to convince myself that I am saving calories on milk, when in truth, because they are small, I end up having two cups of tea at the same sitting. So that's a bad theory and something that DEFINTELY needs addressing psychologically.

What I have discovered is that all the mugs I like using are bone china mugs. It is confirmed by fellow tea drinkers that tea DOES taste best from a bone china mug. Being curious because I've never really thought about it before (why would I?) I did some research and discovered that bone china mugs are thus called because they have a certain percentage of animal bone in their content. Well, of course they do...doh! (I am expecting a message later today from my witty brother to the effect that the better tea taste is probably down to the addition of the meaty bone and he will question my vegetarian status to which I shall respond, 'HA! Actually, I have started eating occasional bits of fish. So there! My vegetarian status is irrelevant and his comment brutum fulmen which will give him something to look up on the internet.)

And then I thought, I bet vegan types wouldn't drink from a bone china mug and so I went onto a couple of forums and OH MY GOODNESS! Some vegan diet people are VERY ANGRY about being offered a bone china mug from which to drink their beverage! I mean, like properly ANGRY, more so than my recent mild mug irritation. Put it this way, I wouldn't want to stand anywhere near a vegan person in the vicinity of bone china. My beloved Gran's Queen Anne tea set is positively quivering its the cupboard.

I've found a new mug from which to drink my tea. This is it. No one else has supped from this mug except me. £4 from Morrisons. It was the best I could do at short notice in order to placate my nerves. It is bone china, of course, it is lovely to hold (a mug to hug in the increasingly cold weather of Autumn), it has a pattern which pleases my sensibilities (bit o'Regency chat there for you) and it will do until I find THE ONE which only I shall know when I see it.

I've just re-read this post. I sound a bit unhinged. Please tell me there is someone else out there who gets a bit irritated when someone else uses 'their' mug?!

Comments

rusty duck said…
I tend to mourn mugs after they are gone. Like the one I placed on the side of the drive having drained its contents while hauling out ferns on the Precipitous Bank. Note: the side of the drive, not the middle. That would be stupid. But I failed to account for the plumber who swerved while waving goodbye and, well, you can imagine.
Athene said…
Ok. I have different mugs for different things ... small bone china ones for herb tea (and no, I didn’t know that was why it is called bone china). Then I have slightly larger ordinary china ones for everyday tea and coffee ... not fussy about design, but they must have the right shape. And the first cup of tea each day has to be in a bigger mug ... it’s really important. It doesn’t taste the same if it’s not in the right mug! I love the hedgehog one.
Anonymous said…
It’s the shape for me. I have the perfect one for warming up hands and since it’s living at work no one, NO-ONE, drinks from that other than me. No communal cups there, thank you very much.
KJ
Denise said…
Jess - what an idiot plumber. Totally his fault because you clearly took the precaution of placing your mug on the ground outside in a safe place. Mind you, I bet if you laid it as a target for him he’d have missed it!

Olly - yes, I agree about the shape. Got to feel right to hold. I think you are very wise to spread your mug love across a variety, thereby avoiding the tragedy and grief that goes with losing the ‘best’ one.

KJ - Oh, during my teaching days the staff room could be turned into a war zone if someone used someone else’s mug! I used to keep mine in either my filing cabinet or pigeon hole, if the size of pigeon hole and mug coincided. It’s a dangerous game to play, that of using a work colleague’s mug.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.