Skip to main content

Floored by Lamps

Who knew that choosing a floor lamp could be such a mine field of decision making? Actually, I had already decided what I wanted but could I find it? Could I chuff. I wanted wood, upright and straight but maybe with a bit of simple carving on it, not too expensive, and I didn’t mind if the wood was painted. But not grey. Obvs.

However, la mode for floor lamps these days seems to be either tall spindly metal jobbies with teeny tiny pinhead shades or efforts on tripods, whose legs spread soooooo far apart one would need to extend one’s modest living room before purchase in order to accommodate the unwieldy thing. Either that or the TV would have to go to make room in the Dark Alcove, and I can imagine the howls of protest THAT would bring from the quarters of His Lordship Malarkey.

I scoured around several websites for an hour or so this morning - all the usual High Street suspects like John Lewis, Dunelm, Ikea, Homebase, B & Q, Next, Wilkos etc - then some of the online only shops like Wayfair, Not on the High Street - and some specific lighting places with names I can’t remember but were something like ‘All Lights For U’, ‘Light World’, ‘Spot-Ur-Light’ etc etc. Tripods, there were. Tripods EVERYWHERE! They seemed a ridiculous waste of space unless you are going to install a rug underneath for your cat to sleep on. And we all know that installing a specific cat-sleeping rug in your home will automatically be rejected by your cat in favour of sleeping on your own favourite place on the sofa, don’t we, Flora Bijou Mybug? (She says she has no idea of what I am speaking.)

Eventually, though, I happened upon one which was hiding on the Argos website. I say ‘hiding’ because it didn’t appear on the list when I typed ‘floor lamp’ into the search bar, but it DID appear when I clicked on a lamp I quite liked and this one was offered as ‘one you might like instead’. I know, I was confused too, but there’s website shopping, too.

This is it...

An added bonus is that it was in the sale with 33% off! I’m not sure about the shade. It is described as 
lilac and I went through my lilac phase in my early thirties, never to return, but the lamp is cheap enough that I can splash out on a new shade at a later date once this one is in place and I’ve had a few days to peruse the lilacness of it all. 

The base is white, which fits in with all the other painted wood in the house. It is suitably Victoriana in style and will be ready for me to collect after 4 p.m this afternoon. Job done! 

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Edgehill fought in 1642, a battle that was probably more onerous to fight than the one I’ve just had finding a floor lamp to my liking. Certainly there were more casualties. It was the first big battle of the English Civil War between the Roundheads and the Royalists. Cromwell’s lot won - bloody parliamentarians. Nothing changes, eh? I rather fancy that if I was around in those times (I might have been - reincarnation, don’t you know?) that I’d have been a Royalist. More attractive costumes. Better hairdos. Back in my teaching days I taught an A level English Literature class who were fascinated when I told them that the Roundhead Cromwell banned wallpaper as part of his war against all the fripperies that make life more enjoyable. The students  invariably mentioned this nugget of information in all the essays they wrote for me, as part of the historical and social context. It’s funny the things that stick in your mind, isn’t it?

I expect Cromwell would have banned floor lamps, too. But I bet he loved the colour grey! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.