Skip to main content

Three Things

Three things are happening today:

1) the electricity is going off between the hours of 9 a.m and 4 p.m because Western Power are topping out trees near power lines. The electricity was on when the tree topping team arrived at the end of July to top out three of our trees so why they need to switch it off today, I have no idea. Live dangerously, that’s what I say. Well, actually I don’t, because I am not a natural risk taker but hey! Tough men who shimmy up ladders with tree topping equipment?  Different level of fish living dangerously, surely? Anyway, because of the non-appearance of electricity chez nous for 7 hours (ish) there will be no electricity dependent activities for me : spray tanning, playing Grand Theft Auto, spot welding - all out of the window. I could sit and read and knit all day but that won’t do my back any good, ditto hitting the shops and my bank balance. So...

2)...I have planned a MASSIVE declutter! I shall be having it out with all the drawers, cupboards and shelves in the house. I have buffed up my Hat of Ruthlessness and my Cloak of Unsentimentality in preparation and aim to remove 101 items (not dalmations) from our possession by 4 p.m. I am including the studio in the declutter equation which looks a shocking tip at the moment following Andy’s grand building of the game of veterinary Operation which went down a storm at the Stoke PDSA Open Day yesterday, along with Scoop the Poop and the selling of my key rings. I reckon, as Team Dandy (or Anden? Anise? Oh, shut up....) we raised between £130-140 between us. I don’t know what the grand total for the day is but it went well.

And finally, in true tradition...

3) ...the diet begins today. I mean, healthy eating lifestyle. Not diet. Healthy eating.  Since Easter I’ve lost 20lbs and sustained that loss. Time to take my body by surprise (it will have become complacent now that my current weight is the one I am settling at....ahahahahahahaha - fool!) and kick start Round Two of Not Looking a Pudding in My Daughter’s Wedding Photos. Bizarrely, Andy has co-ordinated his urge to lose weight with mine so we shall be healthy eating together! This aligning of the planets rarely happens. If I am in the zone, he isn’t, and if he is in the zone, I’m not. This results in us scuppering each other’s attempts by eating cake at each other. In order for us to succeed, the second part of today’s non-electricity based activities will be Recipe Planning and Shopping for Good and Wholesome Food. Of course, this makes it sound like our fridge and cupboards are rammed full of nutritionally devoid rubbish, which they aren’t because actually we do eat pretty healthily. But, in the spirit of it being the new school year, we could do better. And smaller.

I have also charged up my laptop so I can do some writing if the declutter process overwhelms me. I doubt it will as I am not the type to be overwhelmed, choosing instead to ignore heady situations and walk away. Some might call that denial and a refusal to face problems head on. And they would be correct! I prefer to call it ‘losing interest and filling my life with things of greater interest.’

Bags and boxes at the ready. Recipe books primed. Three, two, one...

...see you on the other side.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.