Skip to main content

Insult to Injury

Yes, I know I was probably not walking with my usually jauntiness because of the pain in my back, but was there really any reason for the young slip of a lad behind the counter at the garden centre restaurant to whisper to me, ‘And don’t forget your free cup of tea and apple crumble’ before applying an ‘Over 60s’ discount to the lunch that Andy and I had on Monday? Was there? Really?? Maybe he was confused by my white hair? Maybe he needed to go to Specsavers? Maybe he was just a social inept who ought to get his facts right before flinging his ageist attitude into my day and making me feel thoroughly depressed?

Or maybe I am being over-sensitive? That’s probably more it, yes? I mean, here I am approaching 54 years of age and I should be thankful that I have this incident to relate in all its comedic glory. Many people never get to be mistaken for over 60. My sister, for example, was only 22 when she died, and my father only 56. Cystic fibrosis claimed two of my cousins in their 20s. Friends have been taken in their 40s. So shut up, Denise. You are here. And the discount was worth £6.10.

I had a fleeting moment of wanting to go immediately to a hairdresser and have my hair cut short and dyed brown. But Heather the Bride-To-Be has banned me from having my hair cut or dyed because she loves my hair as it is. So does Andy. And I do, too. But I did feel it was getting a bit too long and straggly at the ends - ‘Hair you can sit on’ as Dame Edna Everage would say - so I DID go to the hairdresser (I’ve been once in the last 4 years) and put myself into the capable and flamboyant hands of Eddie (young, energetic, fan of musical theatre, rarely eats baked potatoes) who said I should return to the garden centre restaurant and ‘sass out’ the insensitive employee with this new hair do...

...which I have black and white filtered because it makes my wrinkles look less obvious. Eddie removed about 8 inches in all (that’s 12 inches if you are a man and need to adjust your ratio for illustrative purposes) and put through several layers to give it bounce and ‘sass.’ He liked the word ‘sass’ did Eddie.

My sciatic back has improved enormously this week! I am so happy! I have continued to use the various repair methods mentioned in my last blog post along with a Qi Gong exercise routine recommended by a good friend. I am thinking I may well continue with the Qi Gong because it is a lovely mix of physical and spiritual. It’s like slow ballet to lullaby music and is very happy making. Also, when I was massaging my back on Monday I felt something pop, like bubble wrap, and it immediately felt better. I consulted my veterinary surgeon about the pop and he said if it made my back feel better, it was a GOOD thing. Anyway, all that remains today is a teeny tiny and occasional twinge of stiffness at the top of my hip. I even tried an experimental dance around the kitchen to K.C and the Sunshine Band and ‘That’s The Way (uhuh uhuh) I Like It (uhuh uhuh)’ and all was well.

My Student Learning Agreement from Shrewsbury College arrived this morning for me to sign and return and I have been given a student number! Although I don’t start properly until February, I am already doing some of the book learning, currently reading ‘The Empathy Instinct - How To Create a More Civil Society’ by Peter Bazalgette, which is very interesting if a bit sciency. I did a bit of sewing this morning as I received another key ring order, and I am wearing my hand knitted blue jumper I completed a couple of months ago which has reminded me to crack on with the pink version I started, currently squished in a knitting bag between the sofa and bookcase. 

May September continue to sass! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh I hear you! I had just turned 50 and within the first week I went bouncing into a bagel shop at 7 in the morning feeling good and when I was paying the cashier gave me a senior discount... I was so flabbergasted that didn't even protest. LOL
KJ
Denise said…
I was flabbergasted, too! The trouble is, I feel so young in my head and sometimes what I see in the mirror makes me jump! But hey! Life is good!
Anonymous said…
My husband's grand father once told his son, when he was commenting on his fathers age; "Son, you are right behind me"

And btw - you are drop dead gorgeous - don't ever speak bad about yourself or you life :-D

KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.