Skip to main content

Unsticking The Stuck Plot

Melting cats, that’s what we’ve had here today. Poor things, especially Bambino Bobble Wilson who is massively furry. He’s like a walking fur coat wearing a rug with an extra layer of fluff just in case. Perfect for Winter, of course, but at times of heat, he just flollops.

I went out today. I did check the National Days Calendar, but nothing inspired and besides, I was in a serious writing mood, not one for quick-stop blogging. I’ve dug out an old draft manuscript, you see, one which has been pestering the back of my mind for a while now. And I’ve been doing some editing and redrafting of its current 50,000 words and I am rather caught up in it again. It needs to be finished. But it was stuck. So I went for a long walk.

The walk involved circumnavigating a substantial lake beneath some shady trees so was rather pleasant despite the sometimes oppressive heat. I pootled around, enjoying the flowers and trees, the garden sculptures, the nods of good morning from fellow lakeside walkers. I saw Mr and Mrs Black Swan emerging from the lake with their brood of now gangly cygnets and, randomly, a lady duck.  I concentrated on asking myself ‘what if’ questions of my characters, a good way of trying to get them ‘unstuck’ from whatever corner or dead end I’d thoughtlessly written them into during wild moments. And by the time I arrived at a nice little tea shop and was settled with a pot of tea and slice of vegan lemon cake - ‘Are you having it because it is vegan, or would you like some cream with it? said the tea shop lady - I was ready to fill several pages of my notebook with lots of new and rather surprising ideas and plot twists. (No, I wasn’t having the cake because it was vegan. And no, I didn’t want extra cream either. It just looked nice.)

It was with a smile then, and a jaunty spring in my step, that I set off for home pretty much knowing where the next 30,000 words are going. Today, I actually felt like a proper writer. I wasn’t fretting that I’m not earning an income. I was comfortable in the knowledge that I am in a time of settling and  finding my new way. My self-belief even did an experimental wing flap.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.