Skip to main content

The Radio of Friendship

 
I don't mind admitting I am erring on the side of grimness today. Amongst other (minor) irritations, the pay for the three weeks of supply teaching I did at the beginning of the month has not arrived in my bank account. This means I shall have to waste MY time chasing it up. In the back of my mind I had an inkling that this would happen. There is no reason for the payment not to have happened because I submitted all the relevant paperwork correctly and in ample time (because I am organised like that). The error is clearly down to the organisational inadequacies of someone else, and there lies the irritation - the fact that other people aren't as organised as me. Of course, I know this to be completely irrational thinking on my part because of the imperfect nature of the human being. And I know that, eventually, I shall be paid for the work I have done. But still, it has set me off on a wrong foot this morning and I had to do a substantial amount of brisk housework in order to shake the sense of grimness that was settling on my shoulders.

 However, I am taking this as a sign of Great Importance that the only person I can work for who I can trust 100% to do their job properly is ME! And thus I am  re-focused on plans to be a wholly independent and self-employed person. I haven't quite worked out how this is going to happen, but the intent is there and I must not lose sight of it.

I missed National Friendship Day yesterday. Actually, I didn't miss it because it was mentioned on the Radio 2 Breakfast Show by Zoe Ball Who Talks Too Much. I chose to ignore it because it got me thinking about friendship and how it works, or doesn't work, and that made me feel a bit grim, too. People often declare themselves to be friends, but they aren't, not really. Not in the truest sense of being someone you could ring in a crisis in the wee small hours of the morning and not be met with, 'Do you know what time it is? Eff off,' or who would know instinctively if you were in a life-struggle moment and would appear at your door, or phone or email and say, 'What's up?'

Blame Facebook for this weakening of the definition of 'Friend', that's what I say. Folk have, quite literally, hundreds, nay THOUSANDS of 'friends' on Facebook. I have 42 people on mine.  Aside from family (which was why I joined FB in the first place, to stay in touch with them after we moved here) there are maybe 5 people who I'd regard as actual, real, proper, bona fide friends. There is a goodly bunch of lovely people I'd happily share a nice cuppa and a good natter with, people I've got on well with in the past and shared happy times. However, there is also a small handful of folk that I look at and think, 'Why?' I've tried to sustain these 'friendships' but the contact is inevitably all one way. Maybe I need to do a spot of housework on FB...

It probably says more about me than others, that I am so critical of the concept of friendship. Do I expect too much? Do I give enough?  I don't make friends easily, because of my natural introversion, although I will always be friendly and polite to everyone I meet. I am happy in my own company. I have been guilty of feeling suspicious about why people would want me as a friend. And my closest proximity friend at the moment, in the days I am home alone, writing, writing, writing, is the radio. How sad is that? 

Gosh, this has become somewhat maudlin. I apologise. Actually, no I don't. There are a lot of people whose only companion from day to day is the radio. Or TV. That sound, this music, those voices in the background are the human connection even us social introverts need from time to time. During the day, I bounce between Radios 2 and 4, with an occasional dip into 4Extra. A bit of music, a fascinating discussion that has me nodding with enthusiasm, a frustrating discussion that has me shouting in disagreement, a spot of culture and history which makes me say out loud, 'That's interesting,' and that will set me off on an internet search to read and research that interest further. Short stories, comedy, quizzes. And 'The Archers.'

Good old radio! Consistent, persistent but crap at making tea.

It's just gone 11 a.m. I'm tuned in to Radio 4. It's cup of tea time. I'm going to call some friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.