Skip to main content

Roses Around the Door

When one lives in a Cottage, one feels it is only right and proper to have roses growing around the front door, wouldn’t you agree? Not so the previous incumbents of Damson Cottage because when we took ownership just over 3 years ago, there was a pale and insipid hollyhock by the front door but sign of roses there was not.

It was one of the first gardening jobs I did, planting a rose by the front door. In the ‘Lost and Lonely’ part of a local garden centre, the last chance saloon for plants past their best, I found a half price climbing rose, or was it a rambling one? What’s the difference? Who knows? Anyway, I found this rose, ‘Starlight Express’ it was called, and I think I paid £6 or £7 for it. It was a small stick of a thing but I took it home and popped it in the ground and three years later...


Ta-dah!! And this is after me having to prune it back a bit so we can use the front door! A profusion of pretty pink and gorgeous smelling flowers, it’s been flowering since late May and will continue to romp on well into September. I’m going to have to create some kind of trellis thing to encourage it up and over the front door one way and up and over the front window the other. It clearly likes its situation. The rose done good!

The back door, when we arrived, was home to a massive fuchsia. Like, around 10 feet high. It was capable of mounting a sturdy attack if you were crossing the courtyard to the laundry, but it was beautiful - one of those red and purple colour combinations. However, last year it died. I don’t know if it was the long hot summer that did for it but it disintegrated into a dry, woody, twiggy shadow of its former self and having snapped a few bits from it, I declared it dead. Andy declared it wasn’t dead and perhaps I should give it a chance to recover, but when he was at work one day and I was at home roaming around with my secateurs (which is always a dangerous combination) the fuchsia got in the way of my secateurs and became an ex-fuchsia.

It was then that I noticed at its base a tiny sprout of a honeysuckle! About 6 inches it was. Or ten inches if you are a man. Anyway, it put up a heady growth of one flower bud and I thought, ‘This’ll be nice. A honeysuckle around the back door. I do hope it continues to grow now I’ve freed it from the oppression of the fuchsia.’ Or words to that effect.

And this is it today...

It’s about two feet tall and flowering nicely. You will also notice, the plant observant amongst you, that there is a taller plant growing behind it. This is the bloody fuchsia which turns out wasn’t bloody dead after all and is sticking up the plant equivalent of a middle finger at me. No doubt Andy will have something to say about this but he is up the garden at the moment building a new chicken run so I shan’t disturb him. 

I would rather keep the honeysuckle over the fuchsia. The fuchsia may meet with another secateur-related accident. Unless I can tease it out of the ground (unlikely) and plant it elsewhere. Anyway, I fancy to have a swathe of honeysuckle growing around the back door. Trained over an archway, maybe. A little natural porch thingy. All romantic and sweet-scented. And full of bees! Ah yes! 


Comments

Andy said…
I did wonder where this story was going because I could have sworn there was a fuchsia by the back door when I came in from the garden!
Athene said…
You cannot kill a fuchsia. Known fact - when the planet has been destroyed and only ants remain, fuchsias will cover the earth. Unless, of course, it is a specially bred named variety fuchsia for which you paid dearly. That sort will keel over at the first draught. And I'm very proud of my ability to spell fuchsia - it once led to a heated argument on a quiz night. I lost the argument and needless to say my team lost by one vital point ... not that I'm bitter or anything.
Denise said…
Andrew, you know FULL WELL that you couldn’t identify a fuchsia. 🙄
Denise said…
Fuchsia is an odd spelling, isn’t it? I am, of course, appalled that your wisdom was doubted and shame on your team. I hope they have learned a valuable lesson?!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.