Skip to main content

Organic and a teeny slug

The world is full of contradictions and sometimes life is a minefield when it comes to making the best and most informed decisions. For a while now, I have been thinking about buying into an organic  veg box delivery scheme because I’ve read a few books and articles about the parlous state of the soil in and on which we grow our food, and then there is the whole air miles thing, and eating seasonally both for our health and the health of the planet, and also what ingesting pesticides and artificially added hormones can do to a body and oh, so much more it has made me feel quite dizzy and anxious and also write unduly long sentences in my blog posts, so breathe......and breathe....

Well, I signed up to Riverford because I like the cut of their jib. I chose the medium 100% British produce box. Medium, because it said it was suitable for 2-3 people and I eat a LOT of vegetables (being vegetarian) and Andy doesn’t eat a lot of vegetables because he declares himself allergic to most of them unless covered in cheese or some sort of curry sauce. So the medium box seemed, on balance, about right. And 100% British produce because on the one hand we have people up in arms about global climate change brought on by the burning of fossil fuels e.g flying in the airplanes, and on the other we are encouraged to adopt living in a culturally diverse society for the social health of human being in general. I have never been on a plane in my life, but I appreciate my food often comes from foreign climes so thought that this box would encourage me to eat seasonally and cut the miles of ‘farm to fork.’

This, then, arrived last Tuesday morning at 8 a.m...
It contained potatoes, carrots, onions, a cauliflower, spring greens, chestnut mushrooms, mixed salad leaves and cardoons...

...and along with setting foot on a plane, neither have I ever set my teeth to a cardoon. Fancy achieving the age of 53 and a half without eating a cardoon?

Oh, I know what a cardoon is. I have seen them growing in spectacular displays in grand gardens I have visited but I didn’t know you could eat them. They look rather prickly in their full leafy form, but when they arrive in a veg box they look like celery. They are not of the celery family though - they are artichoke related. And I DO know about artichokes, have grown Jerusalem artichokes during our allotment-keeping days. I planted some for a) their sunflower-like flowers and b) having been informed they produced a good crop of tasty roots...

....and soon I discovered that Jerusalem artichokes are also known as ‘fartichokes’, at least until your digestive system becomes accustomed to their gas-producing properties, and that they also spread like wild fire and, like mare’s tail and Japanese knotweed, the world will never rid itself of the darn things. But they did taste good, rather nutty. Bugger to peel though. Nobbly.

I set about the cardoon today. I followed Riverford’s preparation advice which is basically peel off all the stringy bits like you would with less than tender celery sticks, and boil to within an inch of its life in well-salted water. Which brought on another contradictory moment because I never cook with salt, again for health reasons. I also removed the teeny tiny, but organic, slug I found and another wormy thing, identity unknown. Both dead, or at least comatose through being in the fridge for the past five days. Oh, and the organic soil which always collects in things that grow in loose layers, like leeks and celery. And cardoons.

The resultant pieces have been boiling away for half an hour. I’ve just tested a piece and it is still on the ‘firm’ side. Another 10 minutes, I reckon. Or hour. Apparently, once they have been boiled, they won’t soften any more through further cooking so you have to get the texture you want first time round. The taste was okay. I can’t describe it really - nothing monumental aka outstandingly delicious (like walnuts. Or cake) or thoroughly revolting (like pomegranates. Or liquorice. Fennel. Chicory. Rice pudding.)

I won’t mind eating it plain, then. Or I might, as suggested by Riverford, cheese sauce gratin it so Andy can share in the cardoon delight. I wouldn’t want him to miss out on new vegetable experience.

Comments

rusty duck said…
A veggie box opens up a whole new world of experiences, you won’t ever need to fly! Happy crunching.
Vera said…
What a good idea a delivered veggie box is, at it means you are not obligated to having to go too often to the supermarket.

Never tried a cardoom, but did have a very fleeting experience with Jerusalem artichokes. The wind was horrendous.
Denise said…
It’s already making me think more carefully about how I shop.
Denise said…
I love having a veg box delivery! So far, so good. Except for the cardoons. Not terribly impressed by either the preparation time or the texture.

If only Jerusalem artichoke wind power could be harnessed!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.