Skip to main content

Cheshire Cat Advice

'One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire Cat in a tree. 'Which road do I take? she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know,' Alice answered.
'Then,' said the Cat, 'it doesn't matter.'
(From Alice in Wonderland. Picture courtesy of Disney)

This, dear readers, is my current dilemma, solved beautifully by a stripy, ever smiling cat. Cats, I have discovered, are good like that, though. Putting the world to rights. Unless they are Bambino Bobble Wilson, however, who recently took a bit of chomp at Flora Bijou Mybug during a particularly robust game of 'Grappling Cats' rendering her infected and swollen of face and needing a dose of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics at the vets yesterday so her ear didn't fall off. Okay, maybe that is a bit melodramatic, but it did look nasty and Bambino should be ashamed of himself. I suspect he is not... 

Back to forks in roads. (I wonder if that is where my kitchen forks are forever disappearing to? Oi now - let's not lose track, please. Back to road-associated forks, if you will...)

I have reached a point where decisions need to be made. Or rather, decisions are waiting to be made but aren't actually queuing up with any urgency, shaking their pitchforks and yelling, 'Get a move on with your decisions, will you? Stop procrastinating! We don't have time for all this malarkey!' And there is the good old Cheshire Cat with his wise words, because actually as yet I don't know where I am going so it matters not which direction I wander along. The road less travelled appears to calling.

Who knows what I might find? The opposite route, aka the road MOST travelled, always appeals because it is lined with hedges and trees of familiarity(I am choosing a country road to travel, of course!). Even its pot holes are manageable because you know where they are and can swerve to avoid them, or if there is a maniac in an Audi heading towards you on the other side of the road, you can slow down and negotiate them gently and without fear of popping a tyre or losing a hubcap. The road most travelled has familiar landmarks. You know the speed limit, that hidden dip in the road (garlic mayonnaise or salsa? I've always wondered on seeing the road signs...). You know how long it will take to reach your destination, temporary traffic lights/ tractor/cows in the road permitting. In short, you can be pretty confident the journey along the road MOST travelled will not throw up many, if any, unmanageable surprises, save the occasional suicidal pheasant making an ill-timed crossing.

But the road LESS travelled? Confidence is required for this journey. A calm acceptance of what might be around that next bend. A go-with-the-flow demeanour. The willingness to embrace the unexpected, the unusual, to turn surprises to advantages. To shout 'PLOT TWIST!' where necessary.

The Cheshire Cat, then, shall be my guide over the next few weeks. The mad voice of simple reason. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.