Skip to main content

Day 14 - Some Panto Magic. Oh no it isn't. Oh yes it is!




Everyone knows that if you want a job doing properly, you just have to get on and do it yourself. And by now, the Wicked Poo of the West is at the end of her short tether.

‘Right!’ she says. ‘I have no choice. I have to employ the Golden Cap.’

At this point, Magno would generally respond with, ‘Oh no, not the Golden Cap,’ but he is no longer here, so after an embarrassing silence during which the Wicked Poo of the West realises she is well and truly on her own, she says to herself, ‘Yes, the Golden Cap,’ and makes a note to buy a cat so she has something to talk at in the future.

( N.B Those of you, like me, who went through childhood believing that the film ‘The Wizard of Oz’ was just that, a film, perhaps might not know that a novel came first. I mean, I was aware of it being a book as I became an adult, but until that point it was a film in Glorious Technicolour, full stop. And it was during the not inconsiderable research I did before starting the writing of this epic adaptation (ha ha) that I discovered there are several discrepancies ‘twixt aforesaid book and film. Which is why there might be some elements you recognise and some elements you don’t. These are commonly referred to as ‘the elements in the room,’ and one of them might be ‘The Golden Cap.’ I thought a Golden Cap was a type of fungus, and thus the image of a giant toadstool sitting on top the Wicked Poo of the West’s head has been indelibly fixed in my mind…..sigh….)

The Golden Cap is the Wicked Poo of the West’s last resort in defending her domain against Dorothy Miggins and her gang. For, like all magical items in stories such as these, the owner is allowed only three wishes from their possession, be that a genie, lamp, ring, golden cap or enormous pantaloons. And the Wicked Poo of the West has already used up two wishes, one of them being a rather ill-advised wish for pizza delivery. She is, of course, working on a way to re-install the Cap to its default setting, but there is no time to think about that now – the last wish has to be used.

The Wicked Poo of the West places the Golden Cap upon her head and begins to chant.

‘Oh Monkeys, hear my magic wish,

I’m really in a flap.

I need your help and that is why

I wear the Golden Cap.’

(The author would like to apologise for the flimsy and simplistic nature of the rhyme, but wants you to be aware she spent a long time on a different version wondering if she could get away with rhyming ‘urgent’ with ‘sturgeon.’ She decided she couldn’t.) 

In a flash, the Golden Cap lights up and makes a sound not unlike the TARDIS landing after negotiating a particularly choppy wormhole. And in another flash, because we need to move along now, quite enough waffle in this chapter, thank you very much, a band of flying monkeys appear led by the infamous Bob Frapples. (Those of you who’ve read my inaugural novel, ‘Duck When The Boom Swings’ will know exactly how infamous he is.)

‘Yes, oh Queen of the Golden Cap?’ says Bob Frapples. ‘How would you wish to spend your last wish? The very final wish? The wish of all wishes? The expiry wish?’

‘Yes, all right,’ snaps the Wicked Poo of the West. ‘Don’t rub it in. I want you to go to the castle gates and capture Dorothy Miggins and her little, er enormous, dog Toto, and the cat pretending to be a lion and bring them to me. And unstuff the Scarecrow and give the Tin Man a good denting. That is my wish.’

‘Your last wish,’ emphasises Bob Frapples.

‘Maybe…’ says the Wicked Poo of the West.

‘Definitely,’ says Bob Frapples.

And in a flurry and whirr of monkey wings and tails, he leads his troupe  into the skies and very soon is returning with a furiously struggling Dorothy Miggins, a howling Toto and a rigid with fear Bambino Bobblion. The captives are dropped to the floor. The Wicked Poo of the West cackles.

‘And the Scarecrow and Tin Man?’ she says, rubbing together her hands.

‘Unstuffed and dented, as requested,’ says Bob Frapples, and in a flash, he and his monkey band are gone, safe in the knowledge they will not be called upon to serve this evil witch ever again.

The Wicked Poo of the West uses her high resolution telescope to survey the castle gates and there, sure enough, is a very deflated and immobile Tancrow Pete and a very dented and already rusting Ptolemy Ptinman. It’s a very sorry sight indeed. She turns her attention to her captives.

‘You,’ she says, pointing at Dorothy Miggins, ‘will be my slave. Your stupid hen/gnu/dog will be set to guard the castle gates and your stupid cat…’

‘Lion…’ says Bambino Bobblion.

‘Whatever,’ says the Wicked Poo of the West. ‘You will become my pet. All evil villains need a cat to sit on their lap to stroke in a passive aggressive manner. It’s the law.’

She sets her captives to work immediately. She begins to plot how to remove the ruby slippers, that once belonged to her beloved sister, from the feet of Dorothy Miggins.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Keep writing I’m reading
KJ
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ - so very appreciated!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.